Sunday, August 29, 2021

Rancid - Live at Randall's Island, 1998

This is most of Rancid's set from July 1st, 1998, at the Vans Warped Tour.

I'm out there, somewhere, off to stage left (and to the back left of that VANS tent. I was up against a barrier, and basically got ground against it during that big circular mosh pit during "St. Mary."

It was a brutally hot, dry, and dusty day. I was literally sneezing out and coughing up dust for days after this . . . we'd laughed at the people we saw wearing masks. Next outdoor show I go to on a dry field, I'm bringing a dust mask and a hat that covers my ears. I spent the day in the sun and dust and drove us all home exhuasted and dehydrated, for this one little set.

Still worth it. I don't regret going. It was the first time I heard "Hooligans" live, and the first time I heard them cover Jimmy Cliff's "The Harder they Come," ever. I hadn't heard "The Brothels," either, but subsequently tracked it down.



Not great video, not great sound quality, but I've never seen any other footage of this set. Sadly it cuts off while Tim climbs up the amps on stage left.

No comments:

Post a Comment