Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - You Got Lucky

First off, this was a very cool video when it came out. It's probably not looking so cool to much younger folks seeing it the first time. But it's post-apocalyptic and had radiated-looking skies and a nice electronic intro. Tom Petty videos generally were worth watching as videos.



But also, this song is great. It's good solid rock and roll, for one. But also, rock and roll is filled with songs about getting broken up with, unrequited love, the pain of loss, and women that done broke your heart and men who don't deserve it (and vice-versa). But Tom Petty stands out with a trio of tracks that turn that around. You're leaving me? Go ahead, but I'm the catch here. Confidence, not loss. I loved it when I first heard it even if that kind of confidence took years to sink in to my life.

I'll post the other two some time, too - Free Falling and Don't Come Around Here No More, my favorite Tom Petty track. But for now, you got lucky. And got post-apocalypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment